Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Mama's and Baby's










 
This baby is two weeks old, coming back from her first trip to the city to be registered. One of the greatest events in a woman's life is giving birth.  The Moken women are no different.  They love their babies and care for them tenderly as newborns.  One difference, though  is their style of birth.  No hospitals, no anesthesia, no sterile environment.  Just a hut and  an experienced elder woman is all they need.  I hear that giving birth is easy for them.  Not so sure about that! I do know that they don't have the option of epidural or not, cesarean or not, pain-killer or not-- they just let nature proceed on it's own.  It is the one topic that I've been able to discuss with the women and discovered that we had a bit more in common that I realized.  Especially when they asked me if I screamed when I gave birth! Hmm, it must not be all that easy, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment